Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Chades Challenge: Claustrophobic Kelpies

These are a couple of "claustrophobic kelpie" drawings for Austin Madison's Chades Challenge. Kelpies are man-eating water horses from Celtic mythology. They are said to mainly lure children into riding on their backs, and often stalk their prey from underwater, with only their one eye exposed (like a crocodile). A kelpie's skin is adhesive, and once a person is fixed to the horse's skin, it will gallop into the river, taking its victim to his watery doom. Here are 3 claustrophobic kelpies I drew...they all ended up being in 3 different styles for some reason, probably because of the different mediums used:

A kelpie regretting his decision to hunt in a ball crawl (brush pen/digital):



This kelpie accidentally ran through a little league game (col-erase/digital):


And a kelpie in a bottle (digital):


Hope you all have a happy new year!!

15 comments:

Chris Silva said...

These are all very Jawesome. I'm loving the little league sketch.

Carrie Liao said...

Man, I feel for the poor kelpie with the ball pit. Doesn't it know how many kids just GO in those things?

Megan Nicole Dong said...

Chris--hahaha, thanks, ya Street Shark.

Carrie--he didn't before....he knows now.

Daisy Church said...

ha ha!! AWESOME! : D I love the kelpie in the bottle one... heh.. (and seriously, how did I not now about such an awesome mythological horse?!?)

Ken said...

LOL...

Kelpie in a ball pool = awesome!

Ive met a Kelpie you know... they are everywhere in Scotland... especially ball pools.

Unknown said...

Sweet stuff, Nicole! I especially love the ball pit gag. I see a bit of your love of sharks coming through.

I love the kid in the pipe noticing the kelpie. Again, like sharks, it's always the one IN the water who's the last to know about the danger.

Carrie Liao said...

hello hello, I have a question! I wanted to add a thumbnail link list (that you now have and that I see a lot of other places), since thumbnails look so nice. :)

Is it just a blog list gadget? Did you have to copy/paste all your links into it (which seems rather inconvenient)?

Sorry for the bother!

Unknown said...

WICKED!! Happy New YEar!!

L Rossi said...

Can't believe I haven't seen your blog before!
Really great work - I especially love your 'boards (and the Rainbow story!).

Someone I know had about 4-5 different fish posing as the same pet... and when they didn't even look the same (i.e they had gotten spots or markings), she was told it was just going through puberty(!)

All the best for 2011!
L

Unknown said...

hahahaha thanks for puttin a smile on my face! Best wishes to you and yours in the comin year

Cons Oroza said...

You have an awesome blog! 8D

Sami said...

hey... love these :) love your sense of humor!

Megan Nicole Dong said...

Thanks you guys and hope you all had a fabulous New Year's Day!

Josh 'Hat' Lieberman said...

Thanks for the comment Megan Nicole Dong!
I love your name and your artwork.

Happy new year.

Ryan Green said...

Kelpie in a bottle is awesome! That'd make a nice business card.